Friday, August 6, 2010

Vitamin D

Apparently Vitamin D is very important.  A common problem for people who have had Gastric Bypass Surgery is that they no longer absorb enough of anything, let alone Vitamin D.

For those who do not know what Vitamin D does, check out the Wiki Page here.

I recently found out that my Vitamin D levels are extremely low.  no surprise given my lack of Vitamin D Supplement, however still not reassuring.  On Wednesday of this week I went in and had some blood drawn for a multitude of tests.  8 Vials were taken, testing for everything from Cholesterol Levels to the amount of Zinc and Magnesium in my blood stream.  Both my Primary Care Physician and Surgeon wanted all of the results.  It's funny that although 8 vials was a whole lot of blood, it didn't seem like too much.  In fact, for the testing that they wanted to do it seemed like 8 wouldn't be nearly enough!  I'm not complaining though.

I immediately posted on Facebook how amazed I was that my labs needed 8 full vials of blood and had a plethora of people ask me if I was trying to get pregnant!  For those of you who do not know, you are not allowed to get pregnant for 18 months after surgery.  You don't want to damage anything going on with your belly and you certainly will be unable to sustain 2 lives, sustaining your own is challenging enough!  So no, I am not trying to get pregnant, thanks for asking though.  :-)

I'll keep you updated on how the rest of the labs go...until then, thanks for reading.  :-)

1 comments:

Christine said...

Hey, been a while since I saw ur blog. I had the same issues. I'm now taking Nature Made D3 5000 iu , Nature's Bounty sublingual B-12 5000 mcg, and 51 mg. Zinc all from Rite Aid. Of course, I'm taking gummy multi vitamins & calcium....both from Vitafusion. It's all working good for me and no more hair loss since I added the Zinc. Hope that helps.

Post a Comment